Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 9 of Christmas Crafting: Semi-Handmade Gift Tags

Have you ever seen the cooking show Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee on Food Network?  Sandra Lee takes 70% ready-made products and combines them with 30% ingredients from scratch to create her recipes.  This saves her time, and still allows her to cook for her loved ones.  I've only seen the show once or twice, but today I'm loving the concept.

Today, I made Semi-Handmade Gift Tags.  My mom and I are throwing a Cookie Exchange this weekend, and I plan to make simple favors for each lovely lady attending.  As part of these favors, I wanted to make a homemade gift tag to say thanks for coming.  I tried for a couple of days to design exactly what I wanted, but just wasn't able to get it right.  Then I went to Target, and I found just the starting point I needed.

This year, Target is selling these adorable plastic paint cans with 50 gift tags inside.  The tags of made of chipboard, with a simple design on front.  I was instantly smitten.  More importantly, I knew I could quickly snazz them up to be just the gift tags I wanted for my party favors.  Here are the materials I started with:

  • Can-O-Tags from Target $5
  • Stampin' Up Real Red stamp pad (already owned)
  • "Many Thanks" stamp from Stampin' Up "Sincere Salutations" stamp set (already owned)
  • Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive (already owned, not pictured)
  • Martha Stewart snowflake punch (already owned)
  • 1 sheet of white cardstock (already owned)
Once I had gathered all my materials, I was off, and had 14 adorable tags not 15 minutes later!  Here's how I did it.

1. I selected 14 coordinating tags from the Can-O-Tags.
2. Then I flipped them over and stamped each tag with "Many Thanks" in red ink.
3. Then I punched out 14 snowflakes from the white cardstock.

4. Next I turned over the tags and glued one snowflake in the middle of each one.

5. I let them them dry for about 10 minutes, and voila! Semi-handmade Gift Tags complete! I like these so much I think I'll whip up some more for the Christmas presents I've yet to wrap.  All I'll need to do is change the stamp to and that says to and from!

Tomorrow, I'll share the favor that I'll be using these with.  I'm excited.

PS I'm baking up my cookies for tomorrow, too.  Oh my goodness.  If they taste anywhere near as good as the batter smells, these could be legendary!  Happy Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment