Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 21 of Christmas Crafting: Ribbon Candy Paper Ornaments

I headed back to Pinterest for inspiration today.  These ribbon candy ornaments caught my eye awhile back.  (Pinned here, originally from here).  I liked how colorful they were, yet simple.  And I thought they would be fun to do with kids down the line.  After doing one, however, I think I'd only do these with older kids.  Keeping the correct amount of tension while threading the beads was harder than I thought it would be.  I'm getting ahead of myself, though.

Here is my completed ribbon candy ornament:
It kind of reminds me of days gone by.  I could totally see these rockin' a tree back in the 60s.  Or at least the TV version of the 60s, since I have no actual experience with a 60s tree...

So, how'd I do it?  Well, I started with these supplies:
  • 2 strips of coordinating paper cut to 1.5x11 inches
  • DMC embroidery floss in Red
  • Clear Iridescent beads
  • Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive
I lined up the two strips back to back and put a thin strip of adhesive on the end of one:
Then I lined up the two strips and pushed down to spread the adhesive.  I made sure all edges were straight, and that the end was completely sealed with adhesive.  Then I repeated on the other side.  (Note: I DID NOT glue the sides together.)

2.  I gently folded (without creasing!) the paper back and forth into the shape I wanted the ornament to be in (Note: I did less "squiggles" than my inspiration ornament.  If I make another, I may add more):
3. Then I threaded a needle with embroidery floss and stuck it through the middle of the ornament (BTW, I decided I liked the white paper on the outside better, so I switched it around after taken the photo above):
4. Once you have pierced the hole, string two beads and pull the needle through the bottom layer:
5. Continue stringing two beads between each layer until you get to the top:


6. Loop the embroidery floss over you finger, and then rethread it through all the beads (DO NOT let it come off of your finger.  Trust me, I about cried when I did and had to start all over.)
7.  Once through all the beads, pull more thread through the top (so the loop around your finger gets much larger) until you have a loop that is about 3-4 inches in diameter.  Then tie a knot at the bottom of the ornament to secure the beads there.  Tie a knot at the top to secure those beads, and you should end up with something like this:
Voila!  A ribbon candy ornament ready for your tree.  Here it is on mine:
I like how it blends in on one side (the green side), and pops on the other.

In other holiday adornment news, this is how I found Claire when I picked her up from Grandma and Grandpa's this morning:
Forget the fact that she is peering out from behind bars (she's actually waiting for a kiss from Grandma.  It's their thing, and it is adorable.)  Look at her neck.  Apparently she took one look at my parent's stuffed rudolph and decided she must have some of that jingle bell choker action.  She wore it all last night and again this morning.  Don't get me wrong, she looks cute, but I was a little surprised when I saw her.  When I asked her what was on her neck, she gave me a look that can only be described as a glimpse of the future.  I have no that doubt someday, in her teenage years, she'll give me the same look when she comes down in some hip outfit and I question it, as only un-hip mothers can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment