Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 2 of Christmas Crafting: Paper Ornaments

Well, it's day 2, and I hit a small speed bump.  I took a small bag of crafty stuff with me on our trip to Raleigh, and for the life of me I can't find where I unpacked it.  So, the craft I had planned for today couldn't happen.  Happily I have an abundant supply of Christmas scrapbook paper and glue, and that's all I need to make a wide variety of crafts!

Today I decided to make a few paper ornaments to put on the lower branches of our Christmas tree.  I know that when we put it up this weekend, Claire is going to VERY interested in it and in the ornaments on it.  We don't have many breakable ornaments, but we do have some sentimental ones, and I want to make sure they are well out of C's reach.  Nothing is sadder than bare Christmas tree branches, so I thought that making up a small collection of paper ornaments would be just the ticket.

I decided to do a play on an ornament I pinned on Pinterest (pinned here, originally from here).  I'm telling you, I'm loving Pinterest.  I know that's probably not news because everyone loves it, but with my spotty memory, it's a lifesaver.  I love being able to go back to one page and see all the things that I thought would be cool to make for Christmas.

I made two sets of two ornaments:

 They were super simple to make.  I used a ribbon spool to trace out 6 circles for each ornament.  (I decided to use two coordinating prints for each ornament to make them a bit more interesting.)  Then, after I cut the circles out, I folded them in half.  I started gluing alternating prints to each other until I had six "spokes" around the middle (see the last photo above).  Before I glued the last edge, I cut a 6 in piece of coordinating ribbon and glued it in to form a loop.  Easy peasy.

I used a grand total of 4 12x12 sheets of paper (though I only used about half of each), 2 feet of ribbon and a small amount of Elmer's glue. BTW, if anyone is wondering, I bought the "Bright & Jolly Paper Pad" by Recollections to use for my Christmas paper crafting this year.  It's available at Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics.

While I had my paper out, I decided to address the two large frames in my living room, as well.  They are Ribba frames from Ikea and happen to perfectly fit 12x12 paper.  I chose two coordinating prints from my paper pad, and voila, instant holiday art!

So Day 2 is done.  Now, off to find that small bag of crafty stuff...

1 comment:

  1. I would have never thought to put a piece of 12x12 dsp in a picture frame what a clever idea...love it! The ornaments are super cute tops

    ReplyDelete