Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 7 of Christmas Crafting: Card Holder

For today's craft, I have to admit I copied my Pinterest inspiration almost to a tee.  I thought it was just too cute and I knew I wanted to be a part of it!  I pinned it here, but it is originally from here.  Make and Takes is an awesome website for craft-happy people like me.  I've had it, and Little Birdie Secrets (who designed this craft), bookmarked for ages. 

I loved this card holder as soon as I saw it.  It's got room for LOTS of cards, and can always be added to if need be.  Plus it's quite colorful and kid-friendly, while still looking polished and chic.  It did take me a few days to complete (due to multiple steps and waiting for the glue, paint, and mod podge to dry), but it was well worth the effort, and could easily be handled by most folks, I'd say.


I'll spare you the play by play instructions, because there are explained succinctly here, but I will tell you where I deviated.  First, I used regular clothespins (from the laundry aisle in Target), and plain old Elmer's glue instead of using a hot glue gun to attach the buttons.  As for the assembly, I put an extra layer of mod podge on top of the paper after I attached it to the clothespins.  This gave it a slight sheen, and I'm hoping it will keep the paper looking good longer.  Also, I painted my clothespins after I put the paper on.  I knew I wanted to painted them multiple colors, so waiting until the paper was on allowed me to coordinate better.  However, it would be easier to paint the clothespins first, so you may want to do that.

Here's the breakdown for cost and materials:
1 spool of ribbon (3 yds.) $2
3 small packs of buttons from Michael's dollar bins $3
14 pieces of patterned 12x12 scrapbook paper (I used very little of each sheet) approx. $1
1 pack of clothespins (50 count) $2
Red and Green acrylic paint $1
Mod Podge (already owned)
Elmers Glue (already owned)

So, there you go, for less than $10 I have a card holder that I like way more, and that can hold more, than any I've ever seen in stores.  Just how I like it. :)

PS I put Claire in double pig tails today (and she actually kept them in for more than 2 seconds.)  How cute is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment