Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 22 of Christmas Crafting: Icicle Ornaments

Today's craft came straight out of my childhood.  Remember those old ornaments we made as kids with beads and pipe cleaners?  These are elevated a bit, but are basically the same concept.  Here's what you need:

  • White string or embroidery floss
  • Clear faceted beads
  • Needle
  • Scissors
That's it.  Gotta love a simple, inexpensive craft, and this would be totally doable with kids.  In fact, with help, I'd say you could do this with age 3+.  Here's how you do it:

1. Cut a 16 inch length of string and fold in half.  Tie a knot at the top leaving a lo0p that's about 0.5 inches in diameter.  (I tied a triple knot to make sure the beads wouldn't slip past the knot.)
2. Thread the string through the needle and thread 10 beads onto the string.
3. Tie a knot (or triple knot in my case) at the end to keep all the beads on the string, as close to the last bead as possible.  Snip off the extra string.
5. Admire the glistening faceted light as it hits the beads. :)

I made 5 of these in 15 minutes while watching the Pioneer Woman holiday special.  (Anyone else want her kitchen?  Hello, gorgeous!)  That included time to figure out the best way to make them.  And they look beautiful on our tree:
Anyone else doing any last minute crafting?  Done with your shopping?  I have to pick up one last stubborn thing this afternoon, and then I'm not entering a store until after Christmas!  I hope... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment