Friday, July 22, 2011

A confession

OK, I admit it, I am scared of Home Depot.   I've watched enough HGTV, and read enough DIY blogs, to know what goes on in there, but I have no idea how they do it.  Call me more of a DIY dreamer than doer. In fact, my lifetime accumulated time spent in a home improvement store would probably only add up to a single workday, and that includes the times I was forced to go there as a kid with my dad.

So the other day, when we needed a picture-hanging kit, I told Patrick I was headed out to Target to get one.   He suggested Home Depot, and I said, nah, I'll just go to Target.  Now, we live way closer to Home Depot than to Target.  It's right down the street.  As in, I could walk there in about the time it would take me to get to Target.  Almost.  But I did not want to go to Home Depot, because like I said, it scares me.  Patrick was insistent, and finally I had to admit that I was too intimidated to go there.  And then I didn't go, and the pictures remained on the floor to be hung another day.

Why am I writing this?  Well, for one, it helps to admit it.  Especially because I believe I'm not the only one who feels this way.  (Right???) And for two, I have decided to do something about it, and writing it here feels like more of a commitment.  Apparently Home Depot offers classes every Saturday where they teach you how to do something very handy and DIY-ish.  This month they are teaching you how to Interior Paint (one of the few DIY things I do know how to do), Hurricane Proctection (not an issue for me), and How to Install a Toilet-- BINGO! That is something Patrick and I have talked about doing, and now I can learn how from someone who knows what they're talking about.  Color me excited.  Or at least eager.  (Side note: Patrick says he already knows how to do this, and I am certain he does.  But I'm tired of handing off the DIY reins to him all the time, so I'm going to learn how to do it myself.  Go me.)

So there you have it.  I'm going to conquer my secret DIY fear.  Anyone else find home improvement stores intimidating?  How bout any projects you plan to tackle but don't yet know how? Or are you a DIY genius?  Wanna share your knowledge with a novice like me? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment