Saturday, June 18, 2011

Shredded Chicken Taco Meat

This tasty recipe was passed on to our family by a great family friend from our time is sunny California, Mrs. Rojas.  She (via my mom) taught me all I know about Mexican cooking. It's probably slightly modified from her original recipe, because I don't remember the recipe ever being written down.  Also, keep in mind that the spice measurements are approximate, and she be modified to taste.  I measure in the palm of my hand, 'cause that's how I roll.  Last but not least, you might want to wear gloves when dicing the jalapenos.  The oils from the peppers remain on your hands for a day or two and can irritate your skin (not to mention your eyes if you touch them!)

4-5 chicken breasts
3-4 jalapenos (depending on the heat of the peppers, and how spicy you like it)
2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs cumin
1 medium onion
Chicken Stock (enough to completely cover the meat, usually 6-8 cups)

Dice the jalapenos and onion.  Put the chicken breasts in a large skillet and drop the diced jalapenos and onion on top.  Sprinkle with the oregano and cumin, and then cover completely with chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.  The chicken should simmer for 2-3 hours, until meat falls apart when shredded.  (I check by pushing on each breast with the tip of my wooden spoon.  If the spoon goes easily through the meat, it's done.)  When there's about 30 minutes left of cooking time, I remove the lid so that some of the cooking liquid evaporates.  You need some of the liquid to keep the meat juicy, so if it starts evaporating too much, put the lid back on!

Remove the chicken from the heat. Shred the meat while still in the skillet. (I use my wooden spoon and a fork to pull apart the chicken.) Serve immediately.

Easy modification:  If you prefer dark meat (or want to save money), you can chicken thighs for one or all of the chicken breasts.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment